Sunday, October 17, 2010

Robert Redford Speaks Up for Art Education



I have always loved him! What great words for an artist educator to hear. The story at the end is worth listening for. Teachers can make such a difference in the lives of their students. There are so many art students whose only place that they feel safe and accepted is in the art room. We are different and a place that allows us to be different is required. I try so hard to look for the creative way to meet my students half way and to make their experiences worthwhile and maybe even life changing. What a great anecdote and message he leaves us with.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that! I'm an art docent in my daughter's 5th grade class, and have learned so much along these lines...seems like so often it's the "ornery" little boys who love glitter and drawing and just need a little praise and direction.

    ReplyDelete